1. Health experts agree that what you eat affects your health
now, and in the future.
2. There are two tools to help you choose a healthy diet,
the Dietary Guidelines and the Food Guide Pyramid.
3. The % Daily Value on the Nutrition Facts label shows you
how a food fits into your overall diet. If a food has 5% or less
of a nutrient, it is considered low in that nutrient. If it has
20% or more, it is considered high.
4. Food products making claims such as "fat free,"
"light," "reduced sodium," or "high
fiber" must meet strict guidelines set by the Food and Drug
5. Ingredients are listed in order by weight, from most to
Issued in furtherance of Cooperative Extension
work, Acts of Congress of May 8 and June 30, 1914, in cooperation
with the United States Department of Agriculture. The Louisiana
Cooperative Extension Service provides equal opportunities in
programs and employment. Information and Graphics on this site
are copyright protected by LSU Agricultural Center's Louisiana Cooperative Extension Services.
For more information
on the EFNEP program, contact EFNEPMail@agcenter.lsu.edu.